a blog about mental illness, writing, and whatever else i can think of

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Busy bee!

I have been procrastinating again, writing this blog. Mainly because I really would like to write some serious posts about issues related to mood disorders. And that involves research. Which I also enjoy procrastinating on. I have a library book on depression that is about three weeks overdue, because every day I tell myself, "Today is the day I will take notes on that book."

If you don't hear from me, assume that I am in the library dungeon, being tortured for my delinquency.

So, meanwhile, things are happening that I will tell you about.

I've been getting into the swing of going to synagogue. Not too many other social activities, but people are very friendly there. It's stimulating on many levels: spiritually, socially, and intellectually. If we did yoga, it would hit physically as well, covering all the major human needs. Don't ask if there's food. Of course, there's food. Jews and food go together like lox and bagels.

I make a big decision this month: I took a break from therapy. I'm not unhappy with my therapist, she's great. And I told her about it beforehand, and she was cool with it. But I can get very dependent on a therapist, and all my social needs get met by them. I find myself thinking, "I can't wait to tell my therapist about this!" And that's when I know.

Not seeing my therapist hasn't hurt. I don't know if it has helped. I'm seeing her again next week, so we get to discuss it then.

My other real support is my sister. And that's a tricky relationship, because she's so depressed, and so hopeless about her condition.

I have been talking to long-distance friends both online and on the phone. Those conversations have been very satisfying. And I have received an invitation to stay with one friend in Virginia, near my sister and daughter, even for a month. Maybe more? I would like to move up there. But it's scary at the same time. So much planning and logistics. Oy.

Meanwhile, this weekend, I will be going all the way from Florida to New York City to join in the People's Climate March! I feel very brave. And very nervous. My stomach's in my throat, and I'm a bit jittery. It's a long drive. No, it's a looooong drive. With people I don't know, because the trip starts from Miami, south of me.

I think I mentioned before that environmental issues were important to me. I am very excited to participate in this rally for policy changes that will affect the way we treat the planet we live on, so that we can continue living on it. The planet will be just fine without us. We will not be fine without the planet's hospitality.

/end sermon.

Next week is the start of the High Holidays, so I am returning to Florida just in time to be swept away by that big event. Cooking, going to services, lots of services, and getting introspective about the year. Oh, yeah, like that last part's hard for me.

I hope I am strong enough to survive all this.


No comments:

Post a Comment